KFC Coleslaw

Admin

savingPNG(14).PNG

I’m going to say something a bit controversial here, and I’m sure that I’m in the minority, but I like coleslaw. It’s a great picnic food, it’s wonderful with breaded shrimp, it makes a great topping for sloppy joes or barbecued beef, it’s inexpensive, fairly nutritious, no trouble to put together, and generally makes a LOT! Occasionally I’ll rummage around looking for new recipes and recently when I did I came upon this one, supposedly a clone of coleslaw from KFC. I haven’t been to KFC in more than a decade, so I honestly can’t say if this is like their coleslaw or not, but with my changes, it is very good. It also keeps in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days, becoming more flavorful as each day passes. Be sure to give it a stir daily to keep things fresh.

savingPNG(16).PNG

KFC Coleslaw

Adapted from the original

Coleslaw 

½ Melissa’s organic cabbage, finely chopped (about 3 c.)

1 large carrot, grated

1 small Melissa’s shallot, minced

Dressing:

¼ c. Duke’s mayonnaise

3 T. granulated sugar

2 T. whole milk

2 T. buttermilk

1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 T. apple cider vinegar

¼ t. salt

1/8 t. ground pepper

Pinch cayenne

Pinch dry mustard

Rather than use a grater, the way that I like to chop cabbage is with a sharp knife. I will slice it in half from top to core, cut out the half core that remains in the slice, put the cut side down on a cutting board, and start at one end and make thin slices. Then I will chop through those slices top to bottom, bottom to top, right to left, and left to right until everything is chopped fine. I do the same thing with the shallot. After all of your vegetables are chopped (or grated as in the case of the carrot, and you might want to run a knife through it to keep everything even) place it into a medium/large bowl.

Whisk the dressing ingredients thoroughly until combined. Pour over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring once or twice. Stir again before serving.

savingPNG(15).PNG

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

View the full article