Beef Tips with Onion & Mushroom Gravy

Admin

Beef%20Tips%20with%20Onion%20&%20Mushroom%20Gravy.PNG 
If your definition of stew consists of cubes of beef, carrots, and potatoes, then I am not a fan. I am, however, a fan of stew beef, a.k.a. chuck roast. It’s so flavorful, and cooks down to be wonderfully tender. I think the very best way to enjoy it is on its own, slow cooked to perfection in a wonderful onion and mushroom gravy, served atop a heaping mound of mashed potatoes (or ladled onto a bed of egg noodles). This will make you forget your troubles.Beef%20Tips%20with%20Onion%20&%20Mushroom%20Gravy%202.PNGBeef Tips with Onion & Mushroom Gravy

3 T. butter

1 yellow onion, sliced

1 2-3 lb. pound chuck, roast, trimmed and cubed

2 T. flour

1½ t. sugar

1 t. onion powder

1½ t. garlic powder

1 t. dried thyme

1 t. Montreal Steak Seasoning

8 oz. Crimini mushrooms, sliced

1 bay leaf

1 T. Worcestershire sauce

2 c. beef stock

2 T. cornstarch

2 T. water

Fresh parsley, to garnish 

Place butter in the bottom of a slow cooker and allow to melt. Once butter has melted, spread onion across the bottom. Place chuck roast cubes into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and Montreal steak seasoning. Sprinkle it over the top of the beef cubes and toss to coat. Place seasoned beef cubes on top of the onions. Top with sliced mushrooms, bay leaf, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour beef broth over all, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or low for 6 to 7 hours. 

Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, whisk together cornstarch, water, and 1/2 cup of the slow cooker liquid. Add the cornstarch mixture back to the slow cooker, stir in, and cook for 30 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with egg noodles, or on top of a mound of mashed potatoes.

Beef%20Tips%20with%20Onion%20&%20Mushroom%20Gravy%203.PNG

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

View the full article