Mac and Cheese Soup

Admin

Mac%20and%20Cheese%20Soup%20Pattie%20Tierney%20Olla%20Podrida.PNG 
 Last week I saw this picture going around on social media. It, more than anything else, has summed up 2024 for me thus far. I don’t think I have ever experienced such consistently dismal weather, or such a lengthy, personal funk as I have this past month. I don’t know how it’s been for the rest of you, but I am really looking forward to spring, or, at the very least, putting January behind me.
IMG_2292.PNG 
The other day I was embracing my funk, spending most of it just wandering aimlessly around the house, stopping occasionally to stare out a window. I had no idea what I was going to fix for dinner, and frankly I didn’t care. What I did know was that I needed to eat, and I wanted something that was the absolute apex of comfort. I happened to be scrolling through Facebook and came upon a posting by Kevin from Closet Kitchen that featured this recipe. I had never heard of macaroni and cheese soup, but I was 100% on board.

With a rerun of Midsomer Murders playing in the background, I put this together and enjoyed it for a late supper. I have to tell you that this improved my entire day.
Mac%20and%20Cheese%20Soup%20Pattie%20Tierney%20Olla%20Podrida%202.PNG

Mac and Cheese Soup

As seen on closetcooking.com

¼ c. butter

1 c. diced onions

1 c. diced carrots

1 c. diced celery

3 cloves garlic, minced

½ t. ground mustard

¼ c. flour

6 c. chicken broth

2 c. elbow macaroni

1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg

½ c. heavy cream

3 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

Cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste

Steps

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and mustard, sprinkle on the flour, mix, and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the broth, macaroni and nutmeg, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the macaroni is tender, about 10 minutes.

Add the cream and cheese, mix, and let the cheese melt into the sauce.

Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

Option: Add 1 diced jalapeno with the onions, celery, carrots.

Option: Use your favorite mac and cheese cheese(s): cheddar, Monterey jack, Colby, Swiss, Parmesan, etc.

Option: Add crumbled blue cheese.

Option: Add 1 t. Worcestershire sauce.

Option: Add hot sauce to taste.

Option: Add sliced green onion.

Mac%20and%20Cheese%20Soup%20Pattie%20Tierney%20Olla%20Podrida%203.PNG

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

View the full article