Pineapple Meatballs

Admin

%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFPineapple%20Meatballs%20Pattie%20Tierney%20OllaPodrida.PNG 
Who doesn’t love a good meatball? Whether they’re served as a main dish or an appetizer, meatballs always seem to be crowd pleasers. I like them so well that, with the posting of this recipe, I will have an even dozen different varieties featured on this blog. These pineapple meatballs are unique in that pineapple is a key ingredient, making them tangy and delicious. I served these as a main dish on top of Hawaiian sticky rice with a side of peas, and it was a delicious meal.%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFPineapple%20Meatballs%20Pattie%20Tierney%20OllaPodrida%202.PNG Pineapple Meatballs

For the Meatballs:

1 lb. ground chuck

½ c. plain bread crumbs

1 extra large egg

1 T. dried minced onions

1 t. hot sauce

¼ c. whole milk

½ t. salt

¼ t. freshly ground black pepper

¼ t. freshly grated nutmeg

For the Sauce:

1 T. oil

1/3 c. finely chopped onion

½ green bell pepper, chopped

½ t. salt

1/3 c. ketchup

2 T. cider vinegar

½ t. cornstarch

1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple in syrup (reserve syrup)

For the Meatballs:

Preheat oven to 350°F. 

Mix all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Form into small meatballs according to your size preference. Place meatballs on a foil or Silpat-lined balking sheet and bake for 40 minutes if large, or 20 minutes if small.

For the Sauce:

In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion, green pepper, and salt. Cook until tender.  In a small bowl, combine ketchup and vinegar, mix well. Add to skillet. In another small bowl, whisk together reserved pineapple syrup and cornstarch. Add to skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Stir in crushed pineapple, and simmer for 3 minutes.

Add meatballs and cook until heated through.

Put into a serving bowl, garnish with green onions, and serve.

Makes 10 large meatballs or 20 appetizer meatballs.

%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFPineapple%20Meatballs%20Pattie%20Tierney%20OllaPodrida%203.PNG

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

View the full article