Proper Fresh Meat Cold Storage - USDA Guidelines

Proper Cold Storage:  Most restaurants have dedicated coolers for their beverages, meats, fruits & vegetables.   However, sometimes smaller restaurant / bars may not have the luxury of multiple coolers.   Even beverage coolers used to store meats, when set at 32 degrees, can still get as high as 50 degrees inside, depending on the number of times the doors are opened.   This fluctuation and increase in temperature is a huge negative effect on your fresh meat shelf life.   Note below, the loss of 7 days shelf life, when temperatures climb from 32 to 37 degrees F on chicken.  

• The USDA reports that Fresh Chicken 🐓 when held at the listed temperatures, has a limited shelf life from pack date to spoilage:
    • o 32 F        18 days to spoilage
    • o 37 F        11 days to spoilage
    • o 42 F        8 days to spoilage
    • o 47 F        6 days to spoilage
    • o 68F         2 days to spoilage

• The USDA reports that Fresh Pork 🐖 🐖when held at the listed temperatures, has a limited shelf life from pack date to spoilage:
    • o 31 F        14 days to spoilage
    • o 36 F        9 days to spoilage
    • o 41 F        5 days to spoilage

I guess I had better keep a better eye on the kids when they stand at the fridge with the door open for 5 minutes...   I'm turning my refrigerator down to 32, or as close to it as possible.   👍

Wow, that's some really great information.    Thanks for sharing!!   I'll definitely have to show this to the wife n kids... they ALWAYS stand at the fridge with the door open for 5 minutes trying to decide what they want...   UGH...   AND I'm turning my temperature down to 33 if I can.      

Thanks again for sharing!!

• Joel pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...