Aporkolips... Bacon Gate... What's Going On?

Bacon Shortage??   The Aporkolips is here, or is this Bacon Gate?   

The USDA Cold Storage December Report came out January 24, 2017 and shows a huge reduction in the cold storage volume of pork bellies.  THE amount in cold storage is DOWN 4% from last month and DOWN 67% from this time last year.  This means that belly & bacon prices will rise and probably stay up through the summer.   http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/ColdStor/ColdStor-01-24-2017.pdf 

Wenneman Meat Company in St. Libory makes over 10,000 lbs of its award winning bacon each week said that they were going to keep making enough for their customers demand, however the price just has to go up to reflect their fresh belly costs.

There are a lot of different bacons out there, some sliced paper thin to appear to have more slices in it per package (retail package), some thicker like the more common 14/16 slice per pound.  Either way, people love bacon and will buy it, perhaps just not as much.   

It will be interesting to see what chefs do to subsidize the bacon crave.. Perhaps Canadian Bacon will have a comeback, beef bacon, or specialty hams, all of which are great breakfast items.   Now, just how do I wrap my scallops or filet with canadian bacon?  Hmmmm :11doh:

bacon2.jpg.e9c677c587e644f7bff4f33a2a183bb9.jpg

Noooooo!!  What am I going to wrap my scallops with?   I guess the big warehouse packers are going to offer cheaper and cheaper bacon.  And when I say cheaper, I mean less quality, not price.     Recently, a friend had some wrights bacon from their wholesale provider and it had spots that seemed raw, as though the cure hadn't gone all the way through, and the slices fell apart as though it had been frozen for a long time too.  

You'll have to pay for quality, and it's worth it.   The 20 cent increases each week are hopefully going to stop soon.

Edited by Fish Heads

• 2 months later...