Prime Beef? What Percentage?

Ok, I hear a restaurant advertising all the time that they have Prime grade beef, "The top 2% of all beef in the USA".   

I just saw Joel's market analysis report, and it shows beef at 9.12% of the total beef slaughtered....  How can the restaurant say that prime is the top 2%?

Sounds like misleading advertising to me.....   Hence, the reason I didn't mention the restaurant name.   I wanted to make sure I am right, or I get the facts first.    Maybe I'll ask them if I ever go to their restaurant, but the claim of 2% gives me an uneasy feeling, and it has from the first time I ever heard it.... 

Thoughts?

Yeah, I hear that add all the time too, and it drives me nuts when I hear "Prime beef is the top 2% of all beef in the country".     BS to that restaurant, and THANK YOU for the market reports!!

I wonder if that restaurant willingly and knowingly came up or "found" that 2% number or if their meat salesperson uses that as a selling point.....    hmm

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I agree, this is a horrible case of false advertising.   I've heard their ad on the radio touting their Prime beef as top 2 percent of all beef in the nation, the best you can buy.....  have they ever had wagyu?      I've seen the USDA reports for several months and I've seen the Prime slaughter percentage as high as 11 percent of all beef in the US, and as low as 6 percent during the winter months, when the beef use up their fat reserves.

I won't ever eat at that restaurant because of their shady misleading tactics.      

Their ad also says you can't buy prime in stores... which is BS, you can buy prime at Fields Foods, The Smokehouse Market, Sam's Club, Costco and other St. Louis markets.