Joel's Home Smoked Brisket

Joel

Well, I guess I should share my brisket, at least pictures of it...   I have a love of smoking and grilling meats.   

I start with a Choice nose on (whole piece) brisket, that weighs about 12-15 lbs.    I trim some of the hard excess fat off the cap, but try to leave at least 1/4" of fat on the brisket to keep it moist and from drying out.    I sometimes cut a cross the top of the brisket so that the fat can actually penetrate the meat.    Then season with your favorite rubs and seasonings, and put in the refrigerator overnight.   I use a Myers Prime Rib Butter Rub.     Some people choose to inject their briskets with phosphates, but I just do a good rub down.

smok1.jpg

My pellet smoker is a Smoking Brothers SB24.  

smok2.jpg

I've always felt that pellet smokers are great, however, I just didn't get the heavy genuine smoke flavoring, even if there was a good smoke ring.     I started using a small 6x6 pan, putting 4 charcoal pieces in.  I light the charcoal then place raw hickory wood on it.  It will take a few minutes, but the wood will start smoking nicely.  

smok3.jpg

I usually leave this "Cold Smoke" process for at least an hour, as you can see how dense the smoke is.    The chamber temperature never exceeds 80 degrees until I turn on the actual pellet smoker.

I usually start my brisket at midnight allowing the "Cold Smoke" process to go 1 to 2 hours.   At 2AM, I turn on the pellet smoker, and you can immediately see the majority of the smoke being blown out the chimney.   I leave the pellet smoker at 185 through the morning hours so nothing gets out of control.  This also allows more smoke penetration before the meat seals up.     Around 7 or 8 AM, I kick the heat up to 250 until the meat gets around 180 degrees internally.   You can flip the brisket if you feel too much heat on the grill side.   Then I reduce the heat back to 225 for the remainder of the cooking time.  

brisket-3.jpg

I pull the brisket at 195 degrees internally.   Some people wrap in foil, place in a cooler and cover with a blanket for an hour..   I usually put in a metal cooking pan, cover with foil, or use the cooler method.   Some people wrap the meat with plastic wrap, as long as it has a high enough heat factor.  

brisket4.jpg

Here are some end pieces I cut off....  you have to sample..   :)  Cheers everyone, Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...